river rats coupon

Grab the latest plaza premium lounge coupon. Read the latest review, know about the products & services, features, pricing, discount, promo.

Discounts will automatically appear on the store page. Click the "Shop Now" button to start your order. Print out your coupon, or bring it up on the Groupon app, and present it to the cashier. Groupon Bucks Earned: Shop usdtorerostores. About University of San Diego. Share these coupons. Promo Code.

Get coupon code. See sale. Expired Coupons Recently expired coupons sometimes still work, so feel free to give these a try. All Ph. The purpose of the evaluation is to inform students of their strengths, weaknesses, and scholastic progress, as well as to encourage communication between students and faculty. Students are permitted to add their comments to these evaluations before signing them.

Good standing is a requirement to: Failure to register or take a leave of absence constitutes withdrawal from graduate studies. To be eligible for reduced fees, a student must file the petition for half-time study with OGS no later than the last day of the second week of the quarter. The student must have departmental approval to study half-time. A part-time student is enrolled in seven to eleven units per quarter and is considered a regular student and charged full-time fees.

International students are required to be enrolled in twelve 12 units per quarter to maintain their visa status. Failure to follow grading policies and procedures can lead to unnecessary hardships, such as jeopardizing continued financial support at UCSD. If a student is doing passing work in a course but is unable to complete the work at the end of the quarter for legitimate reasons circumstances beyond the student's control , the instructor may assign the Incomplete I grade.

Legitimate justification for petitioning for the I grade is illness or family crisis. Unacceptable reasons are lack of time, research too lengthy and other controllable circumstances. To receive an I grade, a student must file a Request to Receive Grade Incomplete and Removal of Grade Incomplete petition prior to the end of the final week in the quarter in which the course is taken. Students should obtain forms from their graduate coordinators. Without the petition, the I grade cannot be assigned.

In order to remove the I grade, the required work must be completed and a grade assigned prior to the end of the final week of the following quarter. It is the student's responsibility to get the work completed and submitted to the instructor on time.

San Diego Symphony Student Ticket Programs

In addition, the student should check with the departmental graduate coordinator to ensure that the grade has been assigned. In truly extenuating circumstances, a General Petition to extend the Incomplete for another quarter may be filed. The petition for extension must indicate the reason for the extension, be signed by the instructor and the chairperson of the department.

The petition must be submitted to OGS for consideration by the Dean prior to the end of the final week of the quarter following that in which the first petition was filed. If an I grade is neither removed nor extended prior to the end of the final week of the following quarter, the I grade will lapse to a Fail F or Unsatisfactory U grade. Extensions on I grades will not be made retroactively. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that all proper forms have been completed. If a sequence course has been approved for an In Progress IP grading option, the IP grade may be assigned until the work is completed for the sequence.

If an IP grade has not been replaced by a final grade at the time of graduation, the IP grade will remain on the student's records. If the entire sequence is not completed, the instructor may assign grades and unit credit for what has been completed. Courses graded IP are not used in calculating a student's grade point average until graduation. If a blank appears on the transcript, it means that the Registrar did not receive a grade for the student on the grading sheet submitted by the instructor. An NR grade, which has lapsed to an F or U grade, cannot be changed.

Be sure to seek assistance from the graduate coordinator to make certain a NR grade is cleared. Students are advised to check their grades following each quarter posting. OGS often receives requests from graduate students to provide transcripts of undergraduate or previous degrees, but is unable to comply with this request. Several copies of the transcript may be ordered from the institution in question to keep in a student's personal files for advising and academic purposes.

It is also a good idea to keep one copy sealed in the envelope in which it was received in order to have an "official" copy. All the necessary forms are available in the academic department and must be initiated there. Each form has specific instructions. Be sure to read each carefully. It is the student's responsibility to file forms in the appropriate offices after obtaining the required signatures.

All students in doctoral programs are subject to campus policy on time limits to the doctoral degree. The policy established by each department and approved by the Graduate Council contains three time limits as described below. For specific time limits applicable to a graduate program, students should consult with the department graduate coordinator. Pre-candidacy time limit - maximum registered time in which a student must advance to candidacy.

Support time limit - the maximum registered time during which a doctoral student is eligible for financial support. The time accrues regardless of support given. Total registered time limit - the maximum registered time in which a student must complete all requirements for the doctoral degree. Students who have not advanced by the expiration of their pre-candidacy time limit will not be permitted to register. Students will not be permitted to receive UCSD-administered financial support after the expiration of the support time limit. Students may not register after the expiration of the total registered time limits.

All unexpired time limits can be extended for a maximum of three 3 quarters for an approved leave of absence or period of withdrawal. Normative time limit is a standard established for the time period in which students, under normal circumstances, are expected to complete requirements for the doctoral degree. At present academic year students who advance to candidacy in less than the normative time are eligible for an In-Candidacy Fee Grant for the remainder of the normative time.

Appointment of the Doctoral Committee - The department requests approval for the appointment of the doctoral committee by the Dean of Graduate Studies. OGS reviews nominees, gives the final approval of the committee, and issues letters of confirmation. Consult the departmental graduate coordinator or the academic affairs staff at OGS for further details. Report of the Qualifying Examination and Advancement to Candidacy - The department prepares the form which must be presented to the Central Cashier's Office along with the candidacy fee. After validation by the cashier, the form must be filed at OGS where it is then reviewed for approval.

If a department awards a candidate in philosophy C. The C. The Report of the Final Examination and Filing of the Dissertation is a form initiated by the department, group, or school, signed by members of the doctoral committee, and the chair of the major department, group, or school. The report and the signature page for the dissertation are usually signed at the time of the dissertation defense. Detailed information regarding the submission of the dissertation can be found in the "Blue Book". The department will approve the form and forward it to OGS for approval.

This form must be submitted to OGS no later than the end of the second week in the quarter in which the student will receive the degree. The "Blue Book" will be sent to the student. At least one quarter must lapse between advancement to candidacy and filing this report. The department prepares the form using the student's name, as it will appear on the diploma. After the thesis is approved, the committee signs the final report. The final thesis report, degree and diploma application, the original signature page, and the thesis must then be presented to OGS.

Students should consult the "Blue Book" and the department graduate coordinator for detailed information regarding preparation and submission of the thesis. A minimum of three 3 quarters of academic residency is required to be awarded a degree. The student must have completed a minimum of two quarters of academic residency and any departmental language study requirement prior to candidacy. Students should consult the department for specific unit and course requirements. Plan I is the thesis plan. Plan II is the comprehensive examination plan.

The department approves forms and forwards all copies to OGS for verification and approval. Forms must be submitted to OGS before the end of the second week in the quarter in which the degree is to be completed. The department prepares forms using the student's name as it will appear on the diploma. Plan I: The thesis is approved and the committee signs the final report and signature pages.

Students should consult the "Blue Book" for detailed information regarding submission of the thesis. Plan II: After the examination is complete, the department forwards the final report and the degree and diploma application to OGS. Students should consult the Leadership and Health Care Organizations graduate coordinator for further information. Students should consult with the department graduate coordinator for further information. Students should consult the Teacher Education graduate coordinator for further information. The form must be submitted to OGS with the final report.

The Ph. Spring degree candidates wishing to participate in commencement, must have all paperwork processed one week before the last day of the quarter. Diplomas will be mailed by the Registrar's Office four to six months after the close of the quarter in which the degree was conferred. A Letter of Completion, which confirms that all degree requirements have been met, will be available within two weeks of filing the final paperwork for the doctoral, M.

Master's Plan II letters will be available within one month of the quarter's end. Selection of the doctoral research adviser is an integral step in the student's academic career. The time schedule for matching up with an adviser varies by department. In some instances, students will have an adviser by the beginning of the second year, at other times they may not have an adviser until advancement to candidacy. Several criteria may be used for selection of an adviser. The faculty member's intellectual and academic interests should closely match the student's.

The work style and personality of the adviser also needs to be compatible with the student's. Students who want frequent contact with their adviser need to choose a person who is readily available. Some professors with greater status tend to have less discretionary time. Conversely, professors with greater status also have more contacts, both on and off campus and may be particularly helpful when it comes time for job placement. When selecting an adviser, a student should have several conversations with that faculty member to determine if the relationship is a good match.

The student also should talk to other students who have the same adviser, weighing their judgment carefully, as personality and work styles differ among students. Find out how problem solving, time, and conflict resolution have worked out with this adviser. A doctoral committee consists of five or more officers of instruction, no fewer than four of whom shall hold professorial titles of any rank. The committee members shall be chosen from two or more departments; at least two members shall represent academic specialties that differ from the student's field and one of these two must be a tenured UCSD faculty member from another department.

Selection of a committee needs to be made in close consultation with the committee chair. Selection of members should be from faculty who have similar research interests to the student's, and who will understand the research and be able to make positive contributions to it.

Graduate Council policy states that the graduate research adviser should guide the search for other faculty to serve on a student's doctoral committee. In many instances, however, students seek committee members on their own. The student's adviser recommends the proposed committee to the department chair who, in turn, recommends appointment of the committee to the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Once approved, the student and the committee members will receive written confirmation. A department chair may disapprove a doctoral committee. Questions regarding the specific details of committee eligibility and selection should be directed to the departmental graduate coordinator or to the academic affairs staff at OGS. Graduate students are eligible for a maximum of three quarters of leave with departmental approval. Graduate students must have completed at least one quarter of academic residence and be in good standing GPA 3.

Under normal conditions, a foreign student is not permitted to go on a leave of absence. Immigration regulations require that the student must be enrolled in a full-time course of study for the duration of the student's stay in the United States. Exceptions may be granted under the following circumstances. All requests for a leave of absence for foreign students require International Center approval prior to OGS consideration.

The usual requirements of departmental approval and campus regulations apply. Students who have advanced to Master's or PhD candidacy may apply for a leave for research or employment related to their research purposes. The International Center requires a copy of the OGS approved advancement form and a letter from the department stating the purpose of the leave prior to consideration of the leave request. If the student is leaving the country, International Center approval is usually automatic and the student does not need a department letter.

Absolution Brewing Co.

A graduate student who is bearing a child or who has primary responsibility for the care of an infant or young child immediately following the birth or adoption of a child under age five is eligible for up to three 3 quarters of parental leave. Students are entitled to no more than three quarters parenting leave, regardless of the number of children. The filing fee applies to both residents and nonresidents.

The student is required to file a General Petition for this purpose. Changing departments is not an automatic process. To change departments the student must submit a General Petition available from the department. The form must be completed, signed by the student's current adviser and the chairs of both departments, submitted to OGS, and approved at least one month prior to the beginning of the quarter in which the student wishes to change departments.

It is advisable that the student obtain an adviser in the new department before making the change. Changing departments may be a viable alternative for a graduate career; however, one should think carefully about such a decision and discuss it with the current adviser, as well as the potential adviser in the new department. The department to which the student wishes to change may require the submission of application materials. Time limits to the doctoral degree will be affected by a departmental change.

The Office of Graduate Studies, departmental, school, and group offices maintain files for each graduate student which contain a copy of the application for admission, transcripts of record, letters of recommendation, and evaluations of a student's academic progress. Students may request access to information contained in these files by presenting a written request to OGS, the department, school, or research group office. There are good reasons for completing several publications as early as possible in an academic career.

First, publications are likely to help students land that first appointment. Second, appearance in journals or presentations at conference proceedings can begin to make the student's name familiar among practitioners in the field. Finally, having a few publications before accepting the first professional position will ease the pressure during the first critical years when promotion may depend on one's performance in teaching and research.

These policies and procedures are administered by the Office of Student Policies and Judicial Affairs, , ude. The Policy The University of California, San Diego, is committed to creating and maintaining a community in which all persons who participate in UCSD programs and activities can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of all forms of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation, including sexual harassment. Retaliation against a person who brings a complaint of sexual harassment is also strictly prohibited and may result in separate disciplinary action.

It is UCSD's intention to take whatever action may be needed to prevent, correct, and if necessary, discipline inappropriate behavior, which violates this policy. All members of the UCSD community, including faculty, students and staff, are responsible for insuring an environment free of sexual harassment.

You may leave a confidential voicemail at , email us at ude. Emphasis is on prevention and early resolution. Because complaints are most effectively resolved at the earliest possible stage, UCSD encourages those with concerns or complaints regarding sexual harassment to seek advice as early as possible by contacting OSHPP. There are many options for addressing such concerns, depending on the circumstances and you can get advice without filing a complaint.

Informal resolution may include educational programs for targeted campus units or for particular individuals, or mediation between the parties. An informal resolution does not require a written complaint and it does not involve disciplinary procedures. Where informal resolution is unsuccessful or inappropriate, a request for a formal investigation may be filed with OSHPP.

Such a request requires a written complaint. Records of complaints, reports and subsequent action are maintained in accordance with privacy requirements. In the majority of instances these differences can be resolved as a result of an informal discussion between the persons involved. UCSD encourages students to promptly pursue informal action first. In instances where informal resolution is unsuccessful, students have various formal avenues for complaint resolution. Graduate students are encouraged to contact the Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Affairs in the Office of Graduate Studies for information and assistance with the resolution of conflicts.

Most disputes are the result of poor communication. Do not allow emotions to interfere with finding a resolution. Develop a file for these documents. Department and program faculty have primary responsibility for maintaining the excellence of graduate programs, and they are in the best position to judge their students' academic performance.

A student may appeal a final exam result or course grade only if he or she believes that non-academic criteria not directly reflective of academic performance in the course were used in determining the result. If this does not result in a resolution that is satisfactory to the student, he or she may appeal to the department or program chair. Within twelve months of action by UCSD with which the student disagrees, such as denial of a right to withdraw, dropping or adding a class, or other decisions related to the student's transcript, a student may petition the Dean of Graduate Studies for review.

Petitions pertaining to matters that occurred in excess of twelve months in the past shall be presented directly to the Committee on Educational Policy of the UCSD Academic Senate, available at the Academic Senate Office noted above. A student's appeal of a grade or his or her challenge of any other academic action based on an alleged failure to provide an OSD approved accommodation for a documented disability in accordance with the UCSD Academic Senate's Policy on Students With Disabilities and Steps for Academic Accommodation must be lodged in accordance with Student Grievance procedures as outlined in the next section.

Non-Academic Appeals and Grievances A student may appeal an action or inaction of his or her department, program, individual faculty member, or UCSD administrator. Examples include those actions taken on grounds not relating to a student's academic performance that affects a student's educational status, program of study, financial support, or access to services.

Generally, non-academic decisions may only be challenged if due process was not followed in arriving at the decision or the decision was motivated by personal prejudice. A non-academic appeal may be submitted to the department or program chair, individual faculty member, or administrator within one month of the date of learning of the action or the date that the student should have reasonably known of the action.

If an appeal to an individual faculty member or administrator is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may then submit a written appeal to the department or program chair, who shall attempt to adjudicate the case with the faculty member or administrator and the student within two weeks. If the appeal is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may then attempt to resolve the matter through written appeal to the dean of Graduate Studies, who will attempt to adjudicate the case within two weeks.

The dean may take the appeal to the Graduate Council for review, which may extend the time required to reach a final resolution. The student's request for the dean's review should include a written statement describing the nature of the grievance, along with copies of any and all documents in his or her possession supporting the grievance. Students are encouraged to contact the assistant dean for Student Affairs in the Office of Graduate Studies for assistance with the appeal process. A student holding an academic appointment, such as a Graduate Student Researcher, may appeal an action relating to his or her employment in accordance with appeal rights described in Academic Personnel Manual Policy , which is available online at http: These appeal procedures may be viewed online at http: UC Personnel Policy Manual, which is available online at, http: Grievances concerning violations of student rights are covered by the Student Conduct Code grievance procedures, which are available online at http: Examples of violations of students' rights include those affecting rights to privacy or protection from discrimination.

These grievances are handled by the Office of Student Policies and Judicial Affairs, , ude. As with other appeals, a complaint should be made promptly to the decision-maker, if known to the student. If an appeal to an individual faculty member or administrator is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may submit a written appeal to the appropriate committee, governmental body, unit manager, supervisor or designated representative for review and disposition. Such appeal must be made not later than one hundred calendar days from the date of the incident causing the grievance.

If the appeal at this level is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, the appeal may be continued as described in the Student Conduct Code procedures referenced to above. All departments have money for travel purposes and they distribute it in different ways: Many departments support travel within California only and often require that the sole purpose of the trip be for the presentation of a paper at a professional meeting. Inquiries about travel money should be directed to departmental graduate coordinator.

The Intercampus Exchange Program allows students to spend a quarter or more at another campus of the University of California. Initial arrangements are made between the student, the student's adviser and a faculty member of the host campus. Application for the Intercampus Exchange Program is made through OGS at least four 4 weeks prior to the beginning of the term for which the exchange is sought. If approved, the student will have access to services on the host campus. Grades for course work completed are recorded on the UCSD transcript of record.

This program can provide an excellent opportunity for students to broaden the circle of contacts in their field. Through a reciprocal agreement with UCSD Extension, a limited number of spaces of complimentary enrollment in UCSD Extension classes are open to full-time graduate students twelve units or more in good standing without payment of additional fees. Only students who have not taken a free Extension course in the previous two quarters are eligible.

Some courses are not eligible for complementary enrollment. Information may be obtained by calling Registration for extension courses opens about four weeks before the start of each quarter. Information about registration can be obtained from the departmental coordinator prior to the enrollment period.

The number of spaces available for each quarter varies. Complimentary spaces are filled quickly so early registration is encouraged. Teaching an extension course may prove to be another useful academic experience for a student. Teaching through extension can compliment a TA experience and help to prepare the student for a teaching career. Unlike a Teaching Assistant, an extension instructor designs and organizes the course and assumes complete responsibility for teaching it. Because of the regulation that limits student appointment to a maximum of 50 percent time, no student is allowed to hold a position with Extension and at the same time hold a 50 percent time Teaching Assistantship or Graduate Student Researcher position.

Complete information and application forms for the various overseas campuses may be obtained from the Programs Abroad Office, International Center, Information is also available online by accessing International Education options at http: Graduate students receive financial support in a number of forms: Each type of support may have different requirements and may come under certain constraints. In order to learn the specific requirements for each award and how to apply, contact the academic department or the Student Financial Support staff at OGS, Awards include University fellowships, traineeships, on-campus employment and grants offered by the department as a graduate award package, and loans or need-based financial support administered by the Financial Aid Office.

These awards include extramural fellowships, traineeships and grants offered by outside organizations to which students apply directly, and off-campus employment without university affiliation. Graduate students who are interested in national and international fellowships may obtain information online by accessing the OGS Home Page, Current Students, then Fellowship Opportunities http: Many organizations require that individuals download application materials directly, or send requests for applications via U.

In the letter requesting application materials, the student should state briefly the discipline, present stage of graduate work, degree and date, and research interests. Further information is available from the reference section of the Central University Library, Contracts and Grants, Career Services and academic departments, or the Community of Science website http: Regents Fellowships are offered to students with excellent academic and research qualifications.

A Regents appointment is made for nine or ten months. These programs provide graduate student support to a limited number of first-year graduate students in these fields. Support may include fees, nonresident tuition if applicable , a stipend, and travel funds for professional conferences. Departments may offer students from one to three quarters of a dissertation award to enable them to complete dissertation research or the final writing of the dissertation.

The Kenneth and Dorothy Hill Fellowship is an award for students who are conducting a significant portion of their research in the special collections section of the Central University Library. Funds do not permit awarding of the fellowship every year. Tuition scholarships pay the nonresident tuition for distinguished entering or continuing graduate students. Fee scholarships pay the registration fees for distinguished entering or continuing graduate students.

Fee payments are credited to the student's accounts. Students will have a balance due for the remainder of fees and are eligible to apply for a fee deferment through payroll deduction see TA Fee Deferment section. Refunds are coordinated between the funding department and OGS. The TA Loan Fund was established to assist new and continuing graduate students with funds for living expenses until they receive their first paycheck of the academic year on November 1. Students repay the loan by payroll deduction in two equal deductions in December and January.

There is no fee for this loan program. Applications may be obtained through the graduate coordinator. For further information contact the graduate coordinator in the department or OGS, The In-Candidacy Fee Offset Grant is intended to provide incentive for timely advancement to candidacy and completion of doctoral requirements. Each department has established a normative time for completion of a Ph.

At the present time, when a student advances to Ph.

UC San Diego Extension | Continuing Education | UC San Diego Extension

Students should contact their departmental graduate coordinator for additional information on In-Candidacy Fee Offset Grants. Graduate student research grants are available to assist registered graduate students with expenses related to their research or creative activity for which there are no state, extramural, or intercampus travel funds available.

First priority is given to advanced graduate students working on their Ph. Grants can be used for most research expenses, excluding computing costs and costs associated with preparing the final copy of the dissertation. A 10 percent minimum matching amount is required of the student's major department. All funds must be expended by June 30, following the date of the award. Travel grants are available for registered graduate students to present their own papers or artistic works at a meeting of a recognized learned society. The Federal Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized , Federal Perkins, and University Loan eligibility is determined through the financial aid application process.

See the section, "Financial Aid Office" for application information or stop by the Financial Aid Office, located in Building , University Center, , http: All registered students who are not currently receiving need-based financial aid Federal Perkins Loan, University Loan, Minimum Grant, or Opportunity Grant are eligible to apply to this short-term emergency loan.

Limited funds are loaned in small amounts to help students in critical short-term emergencies, and usually must be repaid within thirty days. Applications and further information are available from the Financial Aid Office. These are general requirements. Departments may have additional requirements, so students should seek departmental approval prior to accepting a University appointment.

Contact OGS at or the departmental graduate coordinator for further information on employment as a graduate student. Graduate Minimum Grants and Opportunity Grants are awarded to eligible students who qualify based on financial need as determined by the financial aid application process through Student Financial Services.

The graduate division of Student Financial Services administers all need-based financial aid for graduate students. Entering students can obtain a paper application from Financial Aid Office, or may file electronically at http: If you did not receive your PIN, you should request one via http: Students applying after the deadline are still eligible for Federal Stafford loan consideration. Or you may visit their website at http: The Tax Reform Act of changed the tax code so that most graduate student support is taxable income.

Students appointed as teaching assistants and graduate student researchers fully taxable income will complete the W-4, Tax Withholding Allowance Certificate to indicate the amount of federal and state taxes to be withheld from monthly salary payments. For students with fellowships providing a monthly stipend and usually full fees , any stipend funds used for registration fees, or for books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction are non-taxable. All remaining fellowship stipend funds are taxable.

For students who are U. For International students receiving salary or stipend payments, federal tax withholding is mandatory unless the provisions of an income tax treaty cover the income. Tax treaties apply to federal but not California State taxes. A student who has been diagnosed with a disability, or who believes that he or she may have a disability requiring accommodation, must register as soon as possible with the Office for Students with Disabilities OSD. Faculty and staff members do not diagnose or evaluate disabilities. Requests for accommodation must be made prior to the course,exam or other academic activity to enable the affected academic program to respond.

OSD serves as liaison with academic departments, and with off-campus disability-related agencies and facilitates disability awareness through maintenance of a resource library of books, periodicals, articles, films and video formats about disability issues. With sufficient advance notice, OSD will provide on-campus disability workshops. Besides assisting students with disabilities with their academic growth, OSD also sponsors a Peer Mentoring Program to ease disabled students' transition into UCSD and facilitate independence, confidence and self-advocacy.

For more information, contact It is OSD's responsibility to verify the current presence of a student's disability and related limitation s in the academic environment. Accommodations can not be made retroactively and can not fundamentally alter an academic requirement. Details of the process for seeking accommodation, and for appealing the denial of accommodation requests is found in the UCSD Academic Senate Policy on Students with Disabilities and Steps for Academic Accommodation, which can be found online at http: Academic accommodations are defined as adjustments or modifications to coursework, course requirements such as final examinations and program requirements such as comprehensive or qualifying examinations that allow students with disabilities to accomplish the fundamental and essential components of the course of study.

As noted, OSD is the source for assistance and guidance in using these procedures. A student who disagrees with the response to a request for academic accommodation may appeal the decision or action at any time during the quarter to the Committee on Educational Policy CEP Subcommittee on Appeals for Accommodation of Students with Disabilities, as further described in the UCSD Academic Senate Policy described above. This subcommittee may be contacted through the Academic Senate Office, University Center, Complaints regarding discriminatory practices based upon disability may be filed following the procedures outlined in the Student Conduct Code, Section For procedural assistance and information on any matters pertaining to disabilities and accommodations, contact the Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Affairs at the Office of Graduate Studies.

Collectively, their mission is to support the campus programs of instruction, research and public service.

UCSD Student ID Card Discounts

While each library may have varying rules, all are open to members of the UCSD community. Library Services online http: Reference services are available at each library to provide assistance to students and faculty with course needs and research activities.

Reference service is generally available during weekday hours; availability of weeknight and weekend reference service varies among campus libraries. Class Reserves Services Class reserves for graduate level courses are available at each library. Music, film and video, and slide formats are housed elsewhere in Geisel Library.

SSHL does not house material for graduate level courses in science and engineering, upper division biology or biochemistry. Biology upper division courses are available at the Biomedical Library. Instructional Services Through its Instructional Services Program, the library offers a variety of orientations, instructional and consultation opportunities. Individual and group tours of the libraries may be arranged. Contact the library of interest and ask for the instructional coordinator.

Electronic Resources Training The library offers group sessions and one-on-one consultations to help students make the most efficient use of all the electronic information resources available to them. These electronic resources can be used in the library and are increasingly becoming available remotely from home, lab, or the office. The Library also offers many other computerized resources, from databases on compact disc such as Biological Abstracts and Philosopher's Index, which are self-service, to commercial online databases such as Chemical Abstracts, which librarians can search for UCSD students for a fee.

Contact the reference department of the library of interest for more information on this service.

Requests may also be made in person, by phone, by email, or by campus mail. UCSD faculty, students and staff are also eligible for direct borrowing privileges at other UC campuses and at most Stanford libraries. Library Photocopy Services As a companion to Interlibrary Loan, the library also offers photocopies of articles in journals owned at UCSD but not available electronically in full text.

Students also may send requests via Library Express by using the "G" command in line mode or the "Request" button in the Web version, or by calling or emailing the Interlibrary Loan unit that supports their discipline. Currently available to UCSD graduate students and academic and staff employees, LX also delivers materials to undergraduates who are registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities. For more information, contact Library Express at , at ude. Email Reference Services Some UCSD libraries have set up mechanisms to receive and answer brief reference questions by electronic mail.

Generally these services are limited to UCSD staff, faculty and regularly enrolled students. Questions by email should normally be relatively brief and simple-a fact, statistic, biographical note, verification of an incomplete citation, advice on a starting strategy for research, etc. More complex and lengthy questions normally cannot be answered in this way, and will be referred to a subject specialist.

Students should include their full name and email address for replies. Although email is checked regularly, reference librarians are not actually "standing by" their terminals, and replies may take one or two working days. If an answer is needed more immediately, call the Library Information Desk at for either an answer or referral to the appropriate desk. The answers to many questions may also be found through the library's Frequently Asked Questions page http: Library Hours and Phone Numbers Library hours are posted at the main entrances.

Most libraries extend hours during examination periods. Call for a recording of all UCSD library hours. Cooperative arrangements exist with various other local governmental, educational, and industrial libraries, which allow UCSD graduate students to use their facilities. Some of these libraries have excellent specialized collections.

They include the Salk Institute, G. There are various ways that UCSD graduate students obtain email service. Some obtain computing support and email accounts from their own department. Check with your department to find out if it provides direct computing support. Finally, some students prefer to use the email service of an off-campus provider, for example America Online. One of the benefits of registering with Network Operations for a network username is that it will allow UCSD offices to retrieve your address in order to send you potentially important messages about enrollment, financial aid, and other business matters.

If you obtain an email account from ACS, the registration with Network Operations is done automatically. If you obtain an email account from your department, ask your system administrator if the registration has been done for you. If you use an off-campus ISP for email, or are unsure whether or not you have a network username, visit the Network Operations website http: In this process you should set the Mailbox field to your functioning email address, for example, moc.

Computing Resources for Instruction and Research Some academic departments or divisions operate their own computing facilities, which support the instructional and research computing needs of their graduate students. Among these are: Computing support for graduate students in most other departments is provided by Academic Computing Services ACS , http: Students enrolled in courses using ACS computers will automatically be provided with a computer account for that course by the instructor.

Graduate students in departments supported by ACS who are enrolled in an independent research course series may apply for an ACS account on the web. Applications to request computer time for independent research beyond the basic allocation are available at the ACS Accounts Office. See the student perspective on the ACS web page, http: Diversity is crucial to the academic excellence of our campus. To fulfill our institutional mission in a state as diverse and multi-ethnic as California, UCSD must be a campus where students, staff and faculty from many different backgrounds and life experiences interact and learn from each other.

Diversity and educational excellence are mutually beneficial. The University promotes diversity in all its programs. In fostering such an environment, the campus seeks to encourage respect and understanding of all cultural traditions and promote greater diversity among faculty, staff, and students. The staff of OGS has an important role to ensure that a diverse population is recruited, admitted, educated, and graduated. The staff makes special efforts to insure that students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged and supported in their educational efforts.

To view an updated list of programs and events, you can visit OGS's website at http: The Diversity Council was established by the Chancellor to look at the status of UCSD's diversity efforts and to recommend ways to improve campus effectiveness. This is based on the belief that the University environment is greatly enriched by the presence of people with diverse backgrounds and cultural perspectives. In fostering such an environment, the Council seeks to: For more information about the Council, visit the website at http: Established in the Fall of , this committee's charge is to identify and analyze issues of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people at UCSD.

By informing and educating the campus community about issues that detrimentally affect faculty, staff, and students; CACLBTI can make recommendations on policies and procedures that would ameliorate conditions negatively impacting this UCSD community. The Asian American Student Forum is an informal discussion group where students can discuss academic, personal and social issues. For information on times and dates, please call or visit http: For more information on Asian American student groups and events, contact Nancy Magpusao, at The Cross Cultural Center offers programs and services specifically designed to reflect UCSD's commitment to excellence, scholarship and community through diversity and cross cultural interactions.

Among its services are faculty, staff and student exchanges; educational materials; student outreach and retention programs; speakers and film series; community outreach; gender-related events; support and discussion groups; leadership development; international student activities; and more. For additional information please contact the CCC at , ude. DSU is a student organization comprised of both undergraduate and graduate students with and without disabilities.

For additional information about the organization and events call The Women's Center provides support and education on gender issues for students, staff, faculty, and the community. Everyone is welcome to use the facility. Events include speakers, workshops, discussion groups, legal clinics, and other programs. The center's library includes a collection of books, videos, and magazines, including sections focusing on women in academia, women in science, parenting, health, lgbt and multicultural issues.

There is a small children's area that parents can use children must be supervised at all times. The center has a quarterly calendar and runs two listservs a general listserv and one specifically for women in science. For additional information contact the Women's Center at University Center, , ude. It develops student leadership, builds workplace equity, promotes academic research, and provides resources. The office challenges existing definitions of variant genders and sexualities by engaging in community building on- and off-campus.

This office sustains and develops visibility, sense of community, and knowledge of diverse queer people. The office has a quarterly calendar of educational, cultural and social events. They provide information on campus events and resources, and a list of gender and queer academic courses offered at UCSD. UCSD Media Services provides video players and projectors, video cameras, 16mm projectors, overhead slide projectors, tape players, phonographs, and PA systems on a recharge basis. The Media Teaching Lab, located in the Media Center, is a full video and 16mm-film production facility. It is available, free of charge, to any student with a media card enrolled in a film or video production class or to any graduate student using film or video as part of their work toward a degree.

Films and videotapes are maintained in the Media Center library. For reservations and additional information, call or go online at http: CSC helps UCSD graduate students fulfill their career goals through a variety of services and resources including career advising, job listings and job fairs, reference materials, and career consultants. Electronic resources include the Center's Online Career Lab where students can access career information on the internet and CSC's website at http: CSC also sponsors workshops designed especially for graduate students on topics such as alternative careers for Ph.

Services include an orientation before classes begin, thematic and discipline-specific workshops, classroom observations, student questionnaires, optional videotaping, and confidential consultation.

CTD also publishes the Graduate Teaching Assistant Handbook which provides information about the variety of tasks and responsibilities involved in the teaching assistantship as well as policies and procedures pertaining to this position. International graduate students who do not have the requisite skills for classroom teaching will receive training in ESL classes offered by the center. For additional information please contact CTD at or visit their website at http: Each department and program appoints a faculty adviser who assumes responsibility for TA matters for a two-year period.

The faculty adviser oversees training activities and evaluations, oversees the Senior TA if applicable and collaborates with the Director of CTD on TA training matters. The Graduate Enrichment Program is a student development program designed to address some of the more distinctive and specific needs of graduate students. The focus is on activities that are automatically associated with the pursuit of a graduate degree. Provisions are made for individual and group tutoring, comprehensive examination preparation, remedial assistance, and special student-run seminars.

For further information, call OGS, A staff consisting of counseling and clinical psychologists, a social worker, and a consulting psychiatrist provides assistance to students who may be experiencing academic, psychological, marital, family or vocational problems. Individual and group counseling, psychotherapy, marriage or relationship counseling, family therapy, interpersonal, dynamic, cognitive-behavioral and hypnotic techniques are available. Groups focusing on issues such as stress management, test taking anxiety, sexuality, procrastination, ethnicity, assertiveness and social skills building are formed throughout the year.

A variety of support groups designed specifically for graduate students are also offered and announced quarterly. All services with the exception of specialized testing are available at no charge to students who have paid their Student Registration Fee. Services are offered at all five college locations as well as at the central office.

Confidentiality is assured. The Central Office is located at Galbraith Hall. For further details or to make an appointment, call or view the website at http: Comprehensive primary health care is provided without charge or at low cost during the academic year and summer for all students who have paid registration fees.

Students are encouraged to seek advice on any health problem. Professional and confidential attention is assured. See our new web-site http: Look for on-line services coming soon, prescription refills, and appointment scheduling. Most services now require an appointment. There are same-day appointments available for urgent needs. Call central scheduling early in the day for best availability. Advanced appointments are available for routine care. Hours are 8: Monday through Friday, except Wednesday 9: When you are within a mile radius of SHS, you must start your health care at Student Health Services in the absence of a medical emergency.

SHIP provides annual coverage including summer and holiday periods.